Become an Integrated Sciences mentor!
For the past five years UBC Integrated Sciences has offered the Peer Mentoring program matching senior students with junior students developing their degree programs. This year the program is expanding to include alumni mentors!
Overview of Integrated Sciences Mentoring
The Integrated Sciences tri-mentoring program matches current Integrated Sciences students with Integrated Sciences alumni in industry, graduate and professional studies, as well as other professions. Our volunteer mentors get to work with bright and motivated students, network with fellow mentors, develop coaching skills, and promote their specific industry. Current Integrated Sciences students get an advantage in navigating a variety of dynamic industries.
Mentors gain the satisfaction of positively contributing to the confidence and development of the next generations of professionals.
We are currently recruiting mentors for fall 2022. This year the program is being offered as a hybrid of virtual and in-person activities. The total time commitment for mentors is roughly 20 to 30 hours between fall 2022 to late March 2023
Mentor applications for the 2022-2023 program year are now open. Potential mentors are welcome to fill out a Mentor Application for the 2022-23 program year, and will be contacted in August/September 2022.
Benefits for Students
- Build connections and a sense of community
- Explore career options and receive guidance on how to get there
- Gain confidence and learn to market yourself
Benefits for Mentors
- Self-reflect and share life lessons and stories
- Develop, strengthen, and role model your coaching skills
- Join a group of mentors who share similar values and increase your professional networks
Mentor Eligibility Requirements
- Must have graduated from UBC with a BSc in Integrated Sciences
- You are available to meet with your mentee at least two times between October 2022 and March 2023
- complete the online mentor application
- review the Mentor Handbook
- attend the program kick off event in October 2022, where you'll meet your student mentee
- meeting at least twice in-person or virtually with your mentee
- additional communication with your mentee
- attending the wrap up event in March
Here is a link to the Application: Mentoring Application Form